What we do
The project objective is to enable Armenia to prepare its Forth National Communication (NC4) under decision 17/CP7 and the Second Biennial Update Report (BUR2) under decision 2/CP17 of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). The NC4 and BUR2 will build upon previous studies, self-assessment exercises and will be based on the UNFCCC Guidelines. It will enable Armenia to present the updated information on Convention implementation in a consistent, transparent and comparable manner. The Ministry of Nature Protection under the guidance of Inter-Agency Climate Change Council will coordinate the project.
The main components of the project are:
(i) National circumstances and institutional arrangements, as well as other information relevant to the achievement of the objectives of the UNFCCC;
(ii) Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Inventory (2014 and 2016);
(iii) Measures to mitigate climate change;
(iv) Measures to facilitate adaptation to climate change,
(v) Domestic monitoring, reporting and verification system;
(vi) Production of the Second Biennial Report and Fourth National Communication and Monitoring and Evaluation.
Capacities developed and resources mobilized under the UNDP-GEF climate change activities not only contribute for preparing National Communications as a commitment under the UNFCCC but also for developing programs for climate change mitigation and its mainstreaming into national development plans and country policy.
The preparation of the NC4 and BUR2 is expected to enhance general public awareness and knowledge, to integrate the preparation process of NCs and BURs and mainstream climate change into national sustainable development process of Armenia. The project will also strengthen the cooperation between Armenia and other Parties to achieve the ultimate objectives of the UNFCCC.
Some results so far
- BUR2 draft is developed and submitted to the RA Ministry of Nature Protection to receive recommendations and comments.
- National GHG Inventory Report for 2013 and 2014 is developed, published and submitted to the key partners and stakeholders. The Report is posted on the Project website and MNP official website.
- The Standardized Baseline of Grid Emission Factor for the Electricity System of Armenia for 2014-2016 is developed following UNFCCC CDM methodology. It is approved by the CDM Executive Board, effective 19 February 2018 and is valid until 18 February 2021. The Report is also available at the UNFCCC Secretariat website.
- The proposal for development of feasibility assessment of agricultural waste to energy potential in Armenia is developed and 10,000 USD fund is requested from Czech Trust Fund. The workshop, aimed at discussion of the feasible solutions for application of the biogas production from the agriculture waste at medium and large agricultural farms in Armenia, is conducted with participation of the international expert. The following reports are developed as a result of the assignment: (i) Analysis on the potential for application and scaling up of biogas technology to medium and large agricultural farms in Armenia and presentation on biogas technology application opportunities; (ii) “Pre-feasibility study on application of biogas plant on the example of the “MAVAS GROUP” greenhouse”.
- The Project supported to the Yerevan Municipality Project proposal “Yerevan Solar Community” for EU funding as a mitigation financing measure.
- The Project supported to the development of the Green Climate Fund (GCF) Readiness and Preparatory Support Project proposal entitled “National Adaptation Plan (NAP) to advance medium and long-term adaptation planning in Armenia” with the total grant amount of 3 million USD.