What we do
To support the Government of Armenia in advancing its human rights agenda and meeting the commitments vis-à-vis International Human Rights Instruments, UNDP in partnership with UNICEF and UNFPA, implements Promotion and Protection of Human Rights in Armenia Project, funded by the European Union (EU).
The Project is aligned with the targets of the Human Rights Budget Support Programme of the EU and aims to enhance promotion and protection of human rights in the country, through development and implementation of inclusive policies, monitoring mechanisms and strengthened implementation capacity of the key national actors. The Project focuses on such priority areas as prohibition of torture and ill-treatment, anti-discrimination, gender based violence and child rights. It also supports the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Armenia with the assessment and annual revision of targets and performance indicators of the Human Rights Action Plan (HRAP), assistance in establishing monitoring mechanisms and enhancing capacity of the Coordination Council for implementation of the provisions of the HRAP.
The 27-month Project is implemented in coordination with the Ministry of Justice of the RA and in partnership with the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs of the RA, the Human Rights Defender’s Office of the RA, the RA Police and the civil society.
What do we aim for
· Strengthen effective coordination role and capacity of the RA Ministry of Justice for establishment of effective implementation mechanisms, benchmarking, monitoring and evaluation framework of the Human Rights Action Plan and International Human Rights commitments.
· Strengthen capacity of the law-enforcement structures to prevent torture and ill-treatment through improved investigation and enforcement techniques as well as legislative amendments, tailored trainings and civil society oversight.
· Promote anti-discrimination through advocacy, support in development of legal framework, public awareness campaigns and capacity development for implementation of legal provisions.
· Promote establishment of effective gender equality mechanisms and protection of victims of domestic/gender-based violence and abuse through increased awareness, capacity building of relevant stakeholders and strengthened coordination for multi-sectoral response to address GBV.
· Improve the situation of children in Armenia through developing the capacity of service providers in child protection system, bringing the legal framework on community based support centers in accordance with international standards, and developing the child rights monitoring and evaluation mechanism.