Community development: making each voice count

Sep 6, 2016

Greeting the members of the Russian delegation in Berdavan community

Tavush, 06 September 2016 – For the past year and a half, women and men residents of 16 bordering communities of Tavush region, working together with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Armenia, have been busy assessing the needs of their communities and  developing community plans. The plans address a range of critical areas for community growth, such as employment, rural development and development of agro-processing, revival of infrastructure, education, healthcare, as well as environmental protection and resistance to natural disasters.

UNDP is helping women and men residents of the mentioned communities implement and finance these plans as part of the five-year project “Integrated Support to Rural Development: Building Resilient Communities”, financed by the Government of the Russian Federation and implemented by UNDP in Armenia, in close partnership with the RA Ministry of Territorial Administration and Development. The project budget is over USD 5 million and is aimed at increasing income-generation opportunities and supporting rural infrastructure development.

Today, members of a Russian delegation headed by Dmitry Maximychev, Deputy Director, Department of International Organizations, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russian Federation, Hovik Abovyan, Governor of Tavush region, and Armen Martirosyan, Programme Analyst for UNDP Sustainable Growth and Resilience Portfolio, visited the community of Berdavan in Tavush region to familiarize themselves with the project.

“UNDP in Armenia is focused on reducing inequality, exclusion and poverty in an environmentally friendly and gender responsive way. The integrated and participatory approach applied by this project ensures that every single community member’s opinion is considered in the development of their own community and women and men are equally empowered to bring in and discuss their diverse concerns, perspectives and priorities through the process,” said Bradley Busetto, UN Resident Coordinator/UNDP Resident Representative in Armenia.

During the last 18 months, the project has registered substantive progress - 16 integrated community development plans have been approved by Community Councils. Energy-efficient greenhouses with a surface of 135 m² have been constructed for 12 families in the communities of Berdavan, Voskevan and Dovegh - 80 percent of co-financed by the project, with the remaining 20 percent by the families themselves. Drip irrigation systems for the greenhouses were installed by the Armenian Relief Society.

The Culture House in the community of Voskevan is currently being renovated, for which the community has invested 20 percent of the total cost from its own funds. It is estimated that the energy efficiency of the Culture House will increase by 45 percent, which will cut down the building’s heating and cooling costs.

By 2020, the residents of all 45 bordering communities of Tavush region, with an overall population of 62,000, will benefit from the project through increased access to quality infrastructure, such as potable water and irrigation networks, community centers, collection centers for agricultural products and agricultural machinery parks, as well as employment in agricultural and agro-processing sectors.


UNDP partners with people at all levels of society to help build nations that can withstand crisis, and drive and sustain the kind of growth that improves the quality of life for everyone. On the ground in more than 170 countries and territories, we offer global perspective and local insight to help empower lives and build resilient nations UNDP in Armenia was established in March 1993, and supports the government in meeting its development priorities and the Sustainable Development Goals. 

Contact information

Hovhannes Sarajyan

Communications Analyst

UNDP in Armenia

Tel: (+374 60) 530000 (128)  

Mobile: (+374 91) 420122



UNDP Around the world

You are at UNDP Armenia 
Go to UNDP Global